Thursday, December 24, 2015

Not much Said

One of my favorite characters of the Christmas story is Joseph.  We really do not know much about Joseph and honestly not much is said about him from scripture.  The reason he is my favorite is because even though not much is said about him, his actions are incredible.

Follow his story in the Gospels: Matthew 1:19-24 we find Joseph struggling with Mary's news of pregnancy that he knew he had nothing to do with. I can't imagine that kind of news, you would think he would feel betrayal, anger and even a desire to get back at her.  But instead the Bible describes him as "being a just man". He was unwilling to put her to shame.  It was while he was "sleeping on it" that an angel appeared to him and gave him some much needed information and instruction.  The Bible says that he woke up and immediately did what he was told.  The story of Joseph continues in Matthew 2:13-15. The wise men have left and again a angel appears to Joseph in a dream and gives him instruction to take Jesus and Mary and go to Egypt.  Again we see that he wakes up out of sleep and immediately does what he is instructed.  No specifics given, no questions about how will I provide, where will we live, just obedience.  An action that saved no doubt his life and Mary's but more importantly the life of his toddler son, Jesus. Then some time passes, Herod dies and an angel again appears to him twice and again he awakes and obeys.

Again not much is said about him or any words of his recorded, but his actions are all we need to know. This man of integrity, obedience puts me to shame.  How often have I questioned God when he has directed me.  How often have I let the questions of why, what if, keep me from doing what God is directing me to do. As I look at Joseph I am challenged in my walk with God.  I am challenged in my obedience to God in the face of uncertainty.   I am challenged in my lack of trust in a God who sees the beginning from the end and wants the best for me.   Perhaps that's the biggest issue is that I struggle with "trust".  Do I really trust God?  Do I really believe that God wants his best for me?

1 comment:

  1. Good word (and Word). I wonder if we might see Joseph as a type of God the Father in two senses: First, as Jesus reveals in the upper room discourse in John, we do not know the Father except through the Son. In the case of Joseph, his character is evident apart from his words, yet as the father of Jesus (in an important, proximal sense even if not biologically or even ultimately) we know him and his character because of his relation to Jesus, the Word. In a sense, analogous to God the Father, Joseph quietly speaks through the Word, the Son. Second, our relation to God in Christ is as adopted sons; only Jesus is Son by nature. Joseph's relation to Jesus is analogous to our relation to the Father in that neither Fatherhood/sonship is by nature but instead is by adoption.

    Anyway, this would take much more precision to tease out fully, but at least initially, I think this is a cool reality that piggybacks on your observation about Joseph.

    Blessings this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete